By: Jocelyn Davey-Hawreluik – CEO – FurBaby Pet Care
As a dog owner, we know you want to do everything you can to keep your furry friend healthy and happy. One important part of pet care is ensuring that your dog’s vaccinations are up to date. At Furbaby Pet Care, we like to gently remind you of this important aspect of pet care. Vaccinations help to protect your dog from a range of potentially serious illnesses and diseases and can also help to prevent the spread of disease to other dogs.
We take your pet’s health seriously at Furbaby Pet Care
At Furbaby Pet Care, we take the health and safety of your dog very seriously. As a boarding facility, we see a lot of dogs come and go, and we want to make sure that all of our guests are healthy and protected. We do our part by ensuring the facility is continuously cleaned with vet grade disinfectants that are also pet safe. We require you to do your part by having your dogs to be up-to-date on their vaccinations before we can accept them into our facility.
If your dog’s vaccinations are not up to date, it’s important to schedule an appointment with your veterinarian as soon as possible. Your vet can recommend which vaccinations your dog needs based on their age, lifestyle, and overall health.
The core vaccines that are recommended for all dogs include:
- Rabies: Rabies is a serious viral disease that is almost always fatal if left untreated. Vaccination is the best way to protect your dog from rabies and is required by law in most provinces.
- Distemper: Distemper is a highly contagious viral disease that can cause fever, coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even death.
- Parvovirus: Parvovirus is a highly contagious viral disease that can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration. Puppies are especially vulnerable to parvovirus.
- Adenovirus: Adenovirus can cause respiratory disease in dogs, as well as liver disease in some cases.
There are also several non-core vaccines that may be recommended for dogs based on their lifestyle and risk factors:
- Bordetella: Bordetella, also known as kennel cough, is a highly contagious respiratory disease that can be spread in places where dogs congregate, such as boarding facilities, dog parks, and grooming salons. PLEASE NOTE: our facility requires Bordetella for all dogs.
- Canine influenza: Canine influenza is a contagious respiratory disease that can cause coughing, fever, and lethargy. It is spread through direct contact with infected dogs or contaminated objects.
- Leptospirosis: Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that can be transmitted to humans as well as dogs. It can cause fever, vomiting, diarrhea, and in severe cases, liver and kidney failure.
Keep your pet’s vaccinations up-to-date!
Keeping your dog’s vaccinations up to date is an essential part of responsible pet ownership. Vaccines can help to protect your dog from serious illnesses and diseases, and can also help to prevent the spread of disease to other dogs. At Furbaby Pet Care, we take the health and safety of our guests very seriously, which is why we require all dogs to be up to date on their vaccinations. If you have any questions or concerns about your dog’s vaccinations, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your veterinarian or our team at Furbaby Pet Care.